
these are the most fabulous food. if you like them, you may be salivating right now. if you have not had them before, i know they look a bit 'iffy' BUT don't be like the cat in the hat, not trying the green eggs & ham, or in this case, the fried green tomatoes. even wes, my fried food (near) phobic husband has grown to love these! whenever we plant tomatoes, i am not merely waiting for tomatoes to ripen, i really just want to pluck them ASAP, cut them, bread them (in flour, bread crumbs, or whatever your wish may be), put a little salt & pepper on them (wes adds some seasoning salt also), fry them in some butter or olive oil, & them gobble them up. wes made these for me the other day. i was in heaven. (then i was in hell b/c of acid relux. then i took a pepcid & life was okay again.) they are pretty close in wonderfulness as a fresh garden red tomato with a little bit of sugar on it (i also gobble those up quickly). also, some people eat these with a horseradish sauce, in case you are so inclined. this plateful, which consisted of 4 large green roma tomatoes, lasted approximately 4 minutes before they were gone. you can also make them with larger tomatoes for equal yumminess.
i may have to make more tomorrow.







I have never had these and am a little disappointed that you did not invite me over to try.
ReplyDeleteYou said you would.
:(
I see where I rank with the fried green tomatoes
I still vividly remember trying to conceal my shock the day you picked ALL of our tomatoes in our garden - all green - because you were awfully sure you were "helping me" and you loved green fried tomatoes..... You were also pretty sure that the green ones WERE the right way to pick them, and I don't think we saw many ripe tomatoes that summer..... I remember when I told Gma, she was darned cautious when having you in her garden.
ReplyDeleteOh, and by the way, if I remember correctly, your first picking was 2 peck baskets full. It was no small undertaking.....
I was just telling someone how this is one of few foods I miss from home. Thanks for making the separation easier... not. They truly are yummy... and even better when cooked in bacon grease. Oh man...
ReplyDelete