you would never think that baby face above could do this, fight like a gladiator. i'm talking about getting in & out of her car seat. she's been doing this the entire summer... it involves a lot her going stiff as a board, then scruching up into a ball, then flailing her arms around, then grabbing hold of the car seat buckles with her toddler death grip, then kicking & hitting the person trying to buckle that damn car seat harness. & the whole time shrieking & screaming & swinging her head back & forth, banging it with all her might against the back of her car seat.
i hate hate hate car seats! & i also hate this medicine i'm taking (they are related, just wait)
when i've had a long day with 2 or 3 kids--even if it's a fairly easy going day--there is still the stress & non-stop action of dealing with 3 kids for an entire day. & seeing as my doc recommended i only exert myself enough to stretch twice a day for 5 minutes, i guess i've overexerting myself with the level of activity i have daily. after a long day of being mommy & nanny, last night was one of those nights when i migraine hits me like a semi, i'm nauseous, have vision distortion, any movement with my arms, neck, shoulders or jaw produce searing pain, etc. so i had to take the medication that helps with that stuff & these (mostly non daily) pills make me exhausted & very very grouchy for a day. think PMS x10 grouchy.
so that was last night, me with a migraine, then me waking up at 1:15 & not being able to fall back asleep for at least another 2 hours (with THREE varieties of sleeping pills in me, mind you), then waking up to the girls fighting with each other, wes still tired & barely eeking by with the morning as he's trying to let me sleep 15 minutes longer than usual. anyway, so then we need to get all the gerbick gals in the car to take addy to school.
& this is where addy learned to cuss, from these morning, i'm assuming. we give amelia a few minutes to attempt the buckles herself. surprisingly, sometimes she does get the pieces together. not this morning so we have this wonderful, physical dance between the two of us. grouchy, exhausted, pained mom vs. determined, scrappy, kick-you-in-the-nuts (if i had them, i know she would attempt it) toddler.
i won. but only after putting my elbow into her stomach so i could buckle the top then wes reaching across the car holding the bottom buckle while i--with my elbow still in her stomach with her still kicking & bucking around--finally got the two last clasps done. then i did a wonderful parenting move--grabbed her face & told her this behavior is unacceptable (i imagine i looked a wee bit like a devil), slammed the door & said over the car to wes: WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON WITH HER?!
yep, this is how little kids learn how to cuss.
so apparently addy thought i was yelling at wes b/c when i got in the car she gave me a preschool sized lecture about "working together to get things done. you should not talk to daddy that way, it was not nice". maybe it's better that she thought i was yelling about wes than about her sister? i dunno, probably not good that i'm behaving that way in front of the girls...but what IS a parent to do with something like this? it's not like i can just let her roam around the car or leave her at home alone. or never take her anywhere again.
then there was the moment after pulling out of the driveway that i realized i'd left my coffee inside, so then quickly drove back into the driveway--but missed it & ran over the curb & into our tree lawn instead. just to get my coffee. of course, i totally didn't care.
but the coffee seems to be helping. although amelia has been in time out twice since we've returned. but no more face grabbing & devil-mommy.
please, please, PLEASE tell me that your kids do this to & that you've responded in the same nasty manner that i have. i can not be alone in this!








I have moments like that all the time. I actually told Wes this weekend to please stop the f'ing crying. I said please. And Rhys was still napping, so he didn't hear. Do I get points for that?
ReplyDeleteanswer to you on that last question...yes, yes and yes.
ReplyDeleteI'm trying to stop laughing long enough to tell you...YOU ARE NOT ALONE! Really, though, Heidi - you are so good at painting visuals for your stories. Thank you for letting me laugh at your expense! And WHY am I laughing?? (other than being a sick, twisted friend..) ...because I have had that exact same morning, any number of times. They don't advertise these moments when they're pawning casual sex all the time in shows or movies. If they only knewwwwwwww - Aagh! Men and women would stay as far away from each other as possible. =)
ReplyDeleteHang in there. Believe it or not, you guys are doing an amazing job!! Did you know that all the good moments outweigh those rough, nasty moments? God's grace and ability to guide our families is far greater than our frazzled selves.
And... it might be a sign that something might have to be scaled back. Eek. It's okay (and good!) to continually be evaluating if the current schedule/set-up is sustainable for mommy or not.
Yikes. Long comment. You brought a smile to my face today =) Sending some Kutnow love!
So, this is Paige Engle. I never had the car seat issue unless a fit was already in progress, then I got the stiff crying, kicking child. I have definitely been the "devil mom" holding Jack's face and spewing some horrible words (mostly "damn it" and probably squeezing his face way harder than I ever should have). I've done it to Amelia a few times I'm sure. He once had a tower of blocks fall when he was 2 and when it fell he appropriately said "damn it!" I have done something way more horrible than you are describing. On a trip to Texas with my parents, kids, and sister (no husband) to see my very old grandma Jack was 5 I believe. He was acting horribly all day as we were in Grapevine shopping some boutiques and antique shops. He had already lost the trip to see their Thomas the Train display due to his behavior and he just kept on being horribly behaved. I lost my cool and looked right at him and said "Jack if you don't stop this behavior I'm going to kill you." I'm sure I was holding on way too tight and leaving finger bruises on his arms as this came out of my mouth. Anyway I felt so bad to say something like that to my own child. So, that night I apologized and talked at length about how wrong it was for Mommy to ever say such a thing to him. Here is the worst part . . . the next day was horrible behavior again and I lost my cool and those same words came from my mouth again! How awful is that?!?!?
ReplyDeletehmmm...somehow I missed this post. It is good that to hear that I am not the only mom who makes the devil face. Please tell me you told her the behavior was "unacceptable" in your scariest voice possible, and I will be really happy!
ReplyDelete